Trailer Towing Familiarisation Course – Half Day
This course will assist drivers with the knowledge and skills required to safely tow a trailer as well as help them think in ways that promotes cautious low risk driving behavior,
It is designed for drivers who may be called upon to tow small or medium sized trailers (Including tandem trailers), as part of their employment.
Typically this program is delivered at your workplace. Because the program is 4.5 hours duration, two courses can be delivered in one day.
Participants supply their own passenger vehicle and Trailer.
The program is a combination of both classroom and practical learning. This program will help drivers know what to do before & while towing a trailer, and how to think in ways that promote cautious behavior.
The following skills are demonstrated:
- How to check that the trailer & vehicle are a safe and legal combination
- How to prepare the ‘rig’ for a journey
- How to hitch & unhitch
- How to secure a load with considering to weight distribution
- How to conduct a mid journey safety check
- Driving techniques to optimise safety, including driving with a trailer on road in real traffic conditions
- How to reverse a trailer